Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning tips, tricks and tools.

Cleaning tips, tricks and tools.

What tools, tips or tricks do you find really help with cleaning your various firearms?

This one is an inexpensive must have for any firearms owner. It's a Magnetic parts tray. They are inexpensive (usually on sale) and make the job of cleaning your Bolt Carrier groups a snap. If you own an AR then you need to get one of these. I went with A Power First brand (Princess Auto) 9-3/8" x 5-3/8" two round magnet tray. It looks like this:

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ay/A-p8244980e

I paid $10 for mine. Worth every penny! Canadian Tire and perhaps Home depot also sell these items.

The best part is you can just leave it attached to the side of your safe or metal cabinet for storage. No need to have to dig around or find it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A buddy of mine cleans a lot of his parts by soaking them in automatic transmission fluid, anyone else try this? Supposedly let parts soak in it overnight and the carbon comes right off?
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Quote Originally Posted by mister donut View Post
    A buddy of mine cleans a lot of his parts by soaking them in automatic transmission fluid, anyone else try this? Supposedly let parts soak in it overnight and the carbon comes right off?
    I could see that working. I'm a G96 hose it down fan and let it soak in before shooting. Then just wipe off after shooting. A bit of shell Roteilla full synthetic diesel 0W-40 on the high wear parts and you're in business. Fairly cost effective and almost self cleaning!

For AR rifles, a quick carbon scrubber for the end of the Bolt where the gas enters is easy to make. Also economical! Just take a piece of brass 223/308 etc. Crimp the end flat with pliers etc so it's a flat scraping surface. Works great and won't damage the metal since the brass is softer. The same tenchnique can also be used to make brass that will cause a stage 2 stoppage. Put in some non active training rounds, some live ammo and one or two of these pieces of brass. Instant stoppage training drills.

Interesting, a brass scrapper. Lol, in my basic, guys were using anything they could find, including their Gerbers.....yikes.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Interesting, a brass scrapper. Lol, in my basic, guys were using anything they could find, including their Gerbers.....yikes.
    To be honest the make shift brass scraper and the magnetic pan were the result of a C8 carbine course. They worked so well that I copied it. Ok I shamelessly stole it.

One other thing they did was put together a cleaning rod and drop it in with bar first and cleaning brush at the bore. So you get the metal out the barrel with the brush in the chamber and just pull through like a solid bore snake.

I personally prefer using a tripton cleaning rod with tripton jag. I use wipe out and let it sit while I clean everything else. Then I just use the jag with a cleaning patch. Has to be really filthy before I use a brush.

G96 + Synthetic 5w30/40 Motor Oil of your flavor.

Rinse and Repeat

None of this food-grade wax frog lube BS for me!

Those magnetic trays are a god send when you do complete tear downs of pistols. I set on up for cleaning and one for reassembly so all parts are laid out pretty much where they'll go back in (vs throwing them in a pile).
    Last edited by #ThePewPew556; 08-18-2016 at 12:37 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, 11th November 1755

CSSA & NRA Member
    EOSC Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    G96 + Synthetic 5w30/40 Motor Oil of your flavor.

Rinse and Repeat

None of this food-grade wax frog lube BS for me!

Those magnetic trays are a god send when you do complete tear downs of pistols. I set on up for cleaning and one for reassembly so all parts are laid out pretty much where they'll go back in (vs throwing them in a pile).
    I like G96 just for the smell, lol!

I like G96 just for the smell, lol!
    Pretty much the reason for me too LOL.

I use it everywhere around the house that needs it...

Squeaky door hinge? G96.
    Garage door motor chain needs some love? G96.
    Patio door wheels getting sticky from weathering? G96.

..and the list goes on
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, 11th November 1755

CSSA & NRA Member
    EOSC Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Pretty much the reason for me too LOL.

I use it everywhere around the house that needs it...

Squeaky door hinge? G96.
    Garage door motor chain needs some love? G96.
    Patio door wheels getting sticky from weathering? G96.

..and the list goes on
    YES! I've used it on door hinges and anything else around the house that squeaks, lol!

Cold weather and friction testing by the RCMP with regards to oil/lube. An interesting read. I was first introduced to G96 as a direct result of these tests.

http://www.g96.com/wp-content/upload...9/TR-01-97.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast