Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cleaning tips, tricks and tools.

  1. #11
    Oh, awesome, one more reason to buy more G96!

    Yeah, it's pretty much replaced WD40 around the house for squeaks and other stuff, lol!
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

  2. #12
    So, was shooting a C8 today and when cleaning a new lubricant was brought out. It was MC3000. Not bad. It does however still trap the carbon like grease does but it's not as thick. It worked decently enough. Thought I would share it as another alternative. That being said, I'm sticking to my G96 and full synthetic motor oil (oW40 shell roteilla is my current goto since I used it for my diesel truck).

    MC3000® Semi-Fluid Lubricant is a custom-blended, intermediate viscosity lubricant developed for applications demanding performance features ranging between those delivered by the viscosities of TW25B® Light Grease and MC2500® Oil. Mil-Comm formulated this extraordinary lubricant especially for use by the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy 20mm gun systems aboard F-15, F-16 and FA-18 Fighter Jets. Effective for all types of weapons, but specially engineered for Gatling and machine guns operating in all climates and conditions. All-synthetic.

    MC 3000® Semi Fluid Lubricant/Protectant

  3. #13
    Interesting. I actually started using CLP again for some parts, lol!
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

  4. #14
    The only cleaning tricks that I use are the basic ones. Small brass brushes and old toothbrushes for scrubbing into crevices and hard to access areas.

    I still like moly graphite grease to lube sliding parts. Light machine oil to lube everything else. Hoppe's #9 for cleaning.

    While aluminum sectional cleaning rods are frowned upon these days, I always carry them in my range kit. A solid steel rod is too bulky to haul around.

    Also, the individual .22 and .30 caliber rod sections have proven invaluable on their own for cleaning out the gas piston areas of an SKS, and other firearms.

    One thing that I don't use is Ballistol. This crap, the original snake oil, is simply a mixture of mineral oil, vegetable oil, and alcohols.
    Touted as everything from bore cleaner to lubricant to a stock treatment to a wound dressing, it's as much mythology as anything else.
    I keep expecting the fans of this slop to claim next that it cures cancer and helped their wife get pregnant.
    Last edited by shootist1873; 05-09-2018 at 04:37 PM.
    The world is a tuxedo. I am a pair of old brown shoes.

    I grow old...I grow old...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled. (T.S. Elliot)

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by mister donut View Post
    Oh, awesome, one more reason to buy more G96!

    Yeah, it's pretty much replaced WD40 around the house for squeaks and other stuff, lol!
    WD40 is not and never was a lubricant. It's just a solvent, or penetrating fluid, that dissolves rust and buildup, and then dries, leaving a short-lived waxy coating behind.
    The world is a tuxedo. I am a pair of old brown shoes.

    I grow old...I grow old...I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled. (T.S. Elliot)

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist1873 View Post
    The only cleaning tricks that I use are the basic ones. Small brass brushes and old toothbrushes for scrubbing into crevices and hard to access areas.

    I still like moly graphite grease to lube sliding parts. Light machine oil to lube everything else. Hoppe's #9 for cleaning.

    While aluminum sectional cleaning rods are frowned upon these days, I always carry them in my range kit. A solid steel rod is too bulky to haul around.

    Also, the individual .22 and .30 caliber rod sections have proven invaluable on their own for cleaning out the gas piston areas of an SKS, and other firearms.

    One thing that I don't use is Ballistol. This crap, the original snake oil, is simply a mixture of mineral oil, vegetable oil, and alcohols.
    Touted as everything from bore cleaner to lubricant to a stock treatment to a wound dressing, it's as much mythology as anything else.
    I keep expecting the fans of this slop to claim next that it cures cancer and helped their wife get pregnant.
    Good tip about the cleaning rods for gas pistons.
    The sectional aluminum rods are useful for AR15 carbines as well. You put them together and drop them in through the breach of the AR15 after removing the bolt. No pushing. Works well.

    I use the Tipton ones for cleaning at home with longer barrels. I have to say they impress me. Along with their brass Jag set.

    If you use G96 first (it's a metal conditioner) then you don't need solvent or scrubbing. The carbon just wipes off. I use wipe out for the barrel. It's really quick. G96 soaks into the metal and makes it pretty slick. The carbon can't stick to it.

    One of the issues with using light machine oil for say an AR carbine that is running hard is that the light stuff will just burn off after enough use. The problem with the grease and an AR carbine is that it keeps all the crud locked into the grease. It's a real mess when cleaning. The MC3000 stuff also traps the crud in, but it's easier to clean and it stays semi fluid even after a lot of use. Still with that stuff you will need solvent and scrubbing. I'm not sure how it would work though if you sprayed down the gun first with G96 and then just added it like I do with the 0W40 synthetic motor oil. Likely that would be an excellent combination.

    I have some Hoppes elite or something that I bought for bolt actions a long time ago. If needed it works decently as a solvent. But I haven't needed it since using the above methods.

    As I mentioned before. Do not use Rem oil!!!!! it's complete crap.
    Last edited by Full Metal Jacket; 05-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by mister donut View Post
    Interesting. I actually started using CLP again for some parts, lol!
    Not a fan. Tried it once. Smelled like a crappy BBQ. It's better than nothing, but I will use good full synthetic motor oil over that stuff!! Plus I found you still had to scrub etc if used on it's own.

    By the way, apparently the MC3000 stuff is what is also used in the 30mm gun in the A-10 Warthog. I will have to get some just for that fact. One of the guys I worked with had some videos from when he was in Afghanistan and an A10 was working in the area. Every now and then you would hear this, Bfffftttttt. Canvas ripping type of sound coming from the aircraft as it was on a ground attack run. Hahha.

  8. #18
    What is this cleaning you speak of?
    I never did play well with others. Never wanted to.
    Still some jackass on the other side of the internet pissing people off since the days of dial-up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •