Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CQBR/Mk18 Clone thread

CQBR/Mk18 Clone thread

Hey guys,

Just wondering if we had any Mk18 Mod 0 clone builders here? I'm not sure why I've recently developed an slight urge to go slightly "old school" and build one of these, but I've started to collect some parts here and there and I'm pretty close to slapping one together. It won't be a perfect clone, but I think it will look ok.

Something about the old triangle front sight post on a short and cluttered AR that I've started to find appealing again for some reason, lol!

Some info I tracked down from Kevin Boland from KAC:

MK18 Mod 0
    - Colt Lower
    - Colt Upper
    - Colt 10.3 inch barrel (earliest where cut down Colt M4 barrels
    - Mk12 Gas Block (Daniel Defense or Badger Ordnance - opinions vary. Kevin B from KAC indicates its a Badger) (negative stock Front Sight Gas Block)
    - KAC RIS (later M4 RAS)
    - KAC M4-QD Flash Suppressor
    - LMT Rear Sight or KAC 300m Flip Up Rear Sight
    - LMT Sopmod stock
    - CQD Rear sling mount
    - CQD forward sling mount
    Lol, this is all I have from his list highlighted in red:

- Colt Lower - LE6920 - At least it's Colt
    - Colt Upper - LE6920 - Ditto.....not likely I will ever get my hands on a real M16 lower
    - Colt 10.3 inch barrel (earliest where cut down Colt M4 barrels) - Stag Arms 10.3in Barrel
    - Mk12 Gas Block - Stag Arms front triangle sight post - missing bayonet lug
    - KAC RIS (later M4 RAS) - A really beat up set my buddy used in A-stan....barely serviceable, lol!
    - KAC M4-QD Flash Suppressor - Colt A2 birdcage for now
    - LMT Rear Sight or KAC 300m Flip Up Rear Sight - Knock-off LMT rear sight
    - LMT Sopmod stock - Somehow I managed to get a Gen 1 for this build
    - CQD Rear sling mount - Not yet
    - CQD forward sling mount - Not yet
    [/quote]

Will try to post some pictures in the next few days of some of my ingredients, but if anyone else has done this, I'd love to see them!
    Last edited by mister donut; 08-30-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

The mk18 clones are fairly popular. I have a similar but modern take on it in the works. A LMT mrp and then get the 10.5" barrel to swap in! Not really a mk18 but same sort of idea. Same stock and rear sight!

I might have a legit LMT rear buis you can have. I need to double check first though before making any promises. If I do it's yours as a thanks for the Help with parts for my SA20 Colt Canada.
    Last edited by Full Metal Jacket; 08-22-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket View Post
    The mk18 clones are fairly popular. I have a similar but modern take on it in the works. A LMT mrp and then get the 10.5" barrel to swap in! Not really a mk18 but same sort of idea. Same stock and rear sight!

I might have a legit LMT rear buis you can have. I need to double check first though before making any promises. If I do it's yours as a thanks for the Help with parts for my SA20 Colt Canada.
    Nice! Would love to see some pics! So many intricate little details about this rifle, for example, the M16A1 grip with the little hole at the bottom of the grip, lol! Never would have thought to have even noticed something like that!

That would be great to pick up that LMT rear sight if you're not using it, thanks!

We still need to hit the Flying Beaver for wings and nachos one of these days!

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Quote Originally Posted by mister donut View Post
    Nice! Would love to see some pics! So many intricate little details about this rifle, for example, the M16A1 grip with the little hole at the bottom of the grip, lol! Never would have thought to have even noticed something like that!

That would be great to pick up that LMT rear sight if you're not using it, thanks!

We still need to hit the Flying Beaver for wings and nachos one of these days!
    No pics yet. Still finishing up the details on the LMT sale. So it hasn't arrived yet. Then I will wait for a 10.5" barrel to go on sale from Questar. So it's a long term project!

I will take a look to make sure I still have an extra one. I used one on a Tavor but I think I still have an extra.

Absolutely. Or all you can eat Sushi! I received some good feedback on one out there that has spicy tuna Maki. Which if done right is my favourite!

Ohh I like where this is going MD **insert thumbs up here**
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, 11th November 1755

CSSA & NRA Member
    EOSC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket View Post
    No pics yet. Still finishing up the details on the LMT sale. So it hasn't arrived yet. Then I will wait for a 10.5" barrel to go on sale from Questar. So it's a long term project!

I will take a look to make sure I still have an extra one. I used one on a Tavor but I think I still have an extra.

Absolutely. Or all you can eat Sushi! I received some good feedback on one out there that has spicy tuna Maki. Which if done right is my favourite!
    Oh yeah, you guys are really into sushi...ok, it's definitely a healthy alternative and I'm getting to fat to fit into my clothes, so let's do sushi sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by BenL View Post
    Ohh I like where this is going MD **insert thumbs up here**
    Lol, join us for some raw fish?

Ok, so have you ever bought or traded parts and just kept dumping them into your spare parts box, then one day, you realize that you have somehow amassed enough parts to assemble a complete rifle? Well, that's what sort of happened here. This weekend, I collected some AR parts I got from a trade and was tossing them into my spare parts box and realized I was pretty close to a complete AR. I've assembled complete 870s out of spare parts, but this probably the first time I had enough parts laying around to assemble a complete rifle.

So as I posted earlier, my latest obsession has been the Mk18 Mod 0. It's something I probably should have built a long time ago when I had almost the right parts, but at the time, all I wanted was free float, free float, free float. I guess subconsciously since then, I've been collecting parts here and there for a future Mk18 Mod 0 build. In the past, the front triangle sight post was in my mind obsolete and to be discarded at the first possible chance. I've even tossed a few standard AR barrel nut/delta ring assemblies into a buddy's spare parts bin because I thought I would never use them again. Some will definitely argue the point about the advantaces of a low-pro gas block and free float barrel, but there's a certain charm with the old school look and I'm sure it's still very functional.

Anyway, I had to butcher some parts from my Stag Arms/Colt Canada bastard child build that I did a few months ago:

http://93zj.blogspot.ca/2015/11/midw...ith-m-lok.html

But the ball didn't really start rolling on this project until I did a little bit of parts trading the last few weeks. I managed to get this Colt LE6920 upper in a trade for some optics I no longer used. This would actually be my second LE6920 upper, but I flipped my first one a long time ago.

[img]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jThU4u6YBSg/V7vGY2M5qyI/AAAAAAAAjcc/lX9lE5gj5q4Sry0gYZWT4cY3t6qp_Oe2wCPcB/s320/P8199800.JPG[/i
    mg]

Another recent acquisition was this box of random parts. There was some junk in there like a UTG butt stock and an unknown A2 grip. But the potential treasure was the Knight's Armament rail system. It was beat to hell as I got it off a buddy who used it on his C8 in a certain unpleasant sand box overseas, but free is a good price and hard to say no to. Also had a spare AR Stoner 10.5 in barrel that I thought I could use in this build, but more on that later. Remember, I'm not going for a purist's clone....just the basic appearance.

But as soon as I started looking over the barrel, I realized something wrong.....

Great looking barrel, looked well built, but the only problem is it did not have the channels cut for the taper pins from the front triangle sight post. Being the noob that I was, I had in my mind that all barrels had these cut in them for this was the most standard of sight posts.....I also thought that all triangle sight posts were built to the exact same specs....boy did I learn this the hard way.

Anyway, not usable for my Mk18 Mod 0 clone build, I thought about tossing all the parts back into my spare parts box until I could source the parts I needed. Then idea dawned on me that I could transplant this barrel to my Stag Arms/Colt Canada bastard child since that rifle utilized a low profile gas block and free float rail. I could then take the 10.3in Stag barrel, which had the channels already milled out, reassemble the barrel assembly with my Colt triangle sight post and gas tube.....save that thought for later.....remember, be gentle, I'm a noob when it comes to disassembling an AR beyond the field strip.

Back to that little box of goodies I dug up:

The rail was definitely an authentic KAC rail, but it had also see better days.

There's a good amount of metal missing from the mounting points and I had my doubts it would work, but what the hell, may as well try.

So, I had two bottoms, and one top for the KAC RIS, but the top was the one that was sort of pooched, and there was no heat shield to speak of.

On to the dissassembly of the LE6920 upper:

Knocking out those taper pins is a total pain in the dick without the right tools. Since I didn't have any steel punches, I McGuyvered it placing the broadside of one hammer against the pins, and smacking the broad side of the hammer with another hammer. After that, it was just a metter of yanking the FSB and gas tube out.

Removing the barrel nut/delta ring assembly was simply a matter of using a standard AR barrel nut wrench.

I then pulled out my Stag Arms/Colt Canada bastard child shorty and started to remove the barrel:

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast