Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: CQBR/Mk18 Clone thread

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_police View Post
    LOL
    That's so true....

On one hand, I'm happy with making a 'close enough' clone. On the other, I see mister donut's and want to get as close as I can. But things like the peq, knights front sight, insight light, those are hard to find and freaking expensive...
    MX3, though black, for $175 shipped:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...AR-Diamondhead

What are friends for?

Haha, we will help you source the parts

In all seriousness, if you are building a clone, I'll post links to deals if I ever find any. Wasn't sure anyone else was heading down this dark path, hahahahha!!!
    Last edited by mister donut; 10-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

The 4 prong works really well, barely any flash at all.

The Trainer was interesting. I've never used the Warden or anything like the Flamin Pig, so this was a new one for me.

Felt a bit of a push straight back. Nice little fireball coming out of it.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

That’s a great flash hider. No signature at all. And I think I need a surefire brake and training can...
    It’s pretty damn cool.

And still not 100% on making a perfect clone or not... lol

What parts are you missing?

Some pics of the flash hider after using it with the Surefire training suppressor:

shamelessly stolen from white_knight's post:

Quote Originally Posted by white_knight View Post
    Ok well here it is, real and fake PEQ15's side by side. now i have no idea what brand my fake is. i got it almost 7 years ago and it's been collecting dust for 5 of them. i will show some other brands later on and see which one is closest to the real deal. in all honesty most will be pretty nit picky as most knock offs will usually replicate the general look rather well, but those who have experience with the real thing will spot those little details instantly.

so starting off, ive numbered all the points to make this a little easier.

• 1 - Serial Number. this is obviously the most apparent difference between a real or fake, very few knock offs will include this detail. also the ones that do, print it far too big with a different font.
    • 2 & 3 - The Dials. well, not so much the dials themselves, but the housing around them. on the fakes usually its one piece molded as part of the body with no sealing compound around it. on the real one you
      can see its two piece and sealed.
    • 4 - Training / safety screw. Useless even on the real ATPIAL (civilian model that is). it served as a physical block to prevent going into the high power, non eye safe range during training. in this civilian legal version, those settings are just the same low power options duplicated. on the knock off the screw is either missing completely, silver in colour or sometime the correct blue.
    • 5 - IR Diffusers. On the real version it appears to be a shiney silicon/vinyl that's tan and rather tight to the unit. on the knockoffs it's loose fitting general rubber, sometimes black sometime tan.

sical block to prevent going into the high power, non eye safe range during training. in this civilian legal version, those settings are just the same low power options duplicated. on the knock off the screw is either missing completely, silver in colour or sometime the correct blue. [*]5 - IR Diffusers. On the real version it appears to be a shiney silicon/vinyl that's tan and

Side profile. nothing to note here that i wont be talking about later on. i originally screwed up the placement of the stickers on the knock off, the MFG tag should be on the bottom not at the top as it is now. the sticker that's missing is on my real one to read as the full power mil version, under it is the original civ power readings. also note that the real ATPIAL uses a red O-Ring whereas the knock off is black.

• 6 - Mounting bracket. On the real unit the bracket's block and bar are one solid unit screwed in place. on the knockoffs, only the bar is metal with the block being only a molding outline like the one shown here. better versions will replicate the real ones block as well.
    • 7 - Screws. one the real unit, all of the screws are sealed with a hard epoxy like sealant. there are no exposed screws apart from the mounting bracket. on the all the knockoffs this is not replicated and they leave the screws exposed or just mold over where the screw should be.

Also note that the real Civilian version does not include that bottom exemption sticker since it doesn't need it. as you can see i tried to migrate that one over to my real one aswell but it started to tear.

• 8 - More Screw holes. the front of the unit this is most apparent, real one's are all sealed.
    • 9 - Coated lenses. The real unit appears to have some type of coated lenses on both the IR illuminator and lasers.

• 10 - Uncovered screws. good way to spot a knockoff.
    • 11 - Uncovered Lasers. no glass covering the lasers on the knockoff and it appears the diodes are screwed in as opposed to the two piece design of the real version.
    • 12 - Flashlight. most if not all knockoffs will opt for a flashlight in place of the ir illuminator. some are IR capable but the bezel usually will still look similar to this one and thus not correct. which makes more sense as more airsofters would get more use out of a visible light opposed to IR. also of note, on the real version the bezel is polymer. on some knockoffs its anodized
      aluminum.

• 13 -
      • 13 - LED Indicator. on the back of the real unit is a small green LED indicating whenever the unit is activated. some knockoffs will have this notch but not the LED, most will forego it all togeather.
      • 14 - Remote connector. The real unit will have a very large port for a proprietary cable

LED Indicator. on the back of the real unit is a small green LED indicating whenever the unit is activated. some knockoffs will have this notch but not the LED, most will forego it all togeather.
    • 14 - Remote connector. The real unit will have a very large port for a proprietary cable

• 15 - hard edges. this one is an odd one but for me one of the biggest subtle things that make most knockoffs in general look fake including peq-15s' is the hard edges. i dont know why but on the real PEQ15 the edges are less defined, more rounded. on the knockoffs they are harder and the transitions more defined. knock off acogs are bad for this as well.
    • 16 - small pin type connector. here is the standard pin type connector used on most knockoffs.

now how do the knockoff brands stack up? i won't list every little thing just the dead giveaways.

VFC AN/PEQ15 AIMING MODULE (LASER + FLASHLIGHT / TAN)

• No serial number
    • rubber band caps
    • incorrect battery cap colour
    • band studs same colour as body
    • exposed screws

G&P PEQ DUAL LASER & LED ILLUMINATOR (RED DOT, SAND)

• No serial number
    • rubber band caps - also incorrect colour
    • incorrect battery retainer band colour and no oring.
    • band studs same colour as body
    • exposed screws
    • activation switch incorrect colour for current gen, however older gen mil models did infact have the black activation button.
    • stickers incorrect for that modeled gen.

ELEMENT CREE LED & GREEN LASER UHP DEVICE PEQ (DARK EARTH)

Note, this one is modeled after the LA-5 UHP version. this one is the best reproduction option.

• while it does appear that the real LA-5's bezel is Aluminum bezel colour is incorrect
    • exposed screws
    • odd green glass over the lasers. but is still has glass.

and here's the real version for comparison

Hope that was informative. if you don't want to drop 2+k on the real thing, and can tolerate filthy airsoft on your glorious mk18s' get the element one, it seems to be the best option.

PS: please pardon idiotic spelling mistakes, i didn't get around to writing this until late and i cant no speak no gud on a good day.

I'll have to post pics of the fake one I got and see how it compares to the one posted by white_knight

Some comparison pics between white-knight's knock off, his real deal, and my Element knock off:

Top view of his fake and real one

Top view of the Element fake

He has noted that the serial number (1) was missing on his fake one, and the fake ones that bother to print this will often print it too big. This is clearly the case with the Element version, but at least it's printed.

He also noted the housing on the dials (2 and 3) were different. The fake ones were often molded into the body of the unit, but on the real deal, they are clearly a two piece unit, with a separate seal. It appears that the Element version has addressed this.

The training screw (4) is sometimes missing on some knockoffs, or they appear in silver or blue. His appears to be missing the screw, but the Element came with these. On the real deal, they are there to keep the dial from going into high power, however the civvie version doesn't have a high power setting and the lower power is apparently just duplicated.

The lens covers (5) on the real one have shiny silicon/vinyl straps which hold the caps tightly, but the fakes are just rubber and are often loose like the Element, or sometimes missing altogether like his in the above pic. I note the Element version has tried to duplicate the semi-clear tab that holds the strap in place, which is different than the sold black tab on white_knight's fake.

Side view of his fake and real one

Side view the Element fake

white_knight indicated the MFG tag should be on the bottom and the power setting sticker at the top. The real ATPIAL also uses a red rubber o-ring where the knockoff is black.

Bottom view of his fake and real

Bottom view of the Element

The mounting block (6) on some fakes have been seen to be made in plastic, with only the bar and knob being metal, but the Element has duplicated the entire metal block. The problem with the Element unit is the screws weren't countersunk enough and stuck out a bit. I had to file them down for them to sit flush in the mounting block, otherwise the whole unit was a bit skewed when mounting on the rail....not that it mattered because I only use the thing for photos.

The screws (7) on the real deal are all sealed with some sort of hard epoxy sealant with no exposed screws apart from the mounting bracket. On the fakes, the screws are either exposed, or not there at all. He added as a side note that the civvie version is missing the exemption sticker since it doesn't need it, but they will appear on the fakes.

Front view of his real PEQ15

Front view of the Element

More sealed screws (8) on the real deal, with the exposed ones on the fake.

The real one also has coated lenses (9) for both the IR illuminator and lasers but the fake does not.

Front view of his unknown brand fake

Front view of the Element

(10) More unsealed screws on his fake and the Element. The lasers on his fake (11) weren't covered and had no outer lenses but it appears that the Element version has addressed this, though the lenses are not coated. Also, his fake has a flashlight (12) like mine, unlike the real deal which is supposed to be an IR illuminator. Some fakes out there actually have an IR illuminator, but the Element is not one of those. Apparently some knockoffs also use an aluminum bezel for the flash light where the real deal is polymer.

Rear view of his real PEQ15

Rear view of his fake

Rear view of the Element

There's apparently an LED indicator on the back (13) that turns green when the unit is active. Some knockoffs will have the notch for it, but no LED, and others might not have anything at all. The Element appears to have a hole, but nothing else.

The remote connector (14) on the real deal will have a large port for a proprietary cable, but on the knockoffs (16) they will often use a small pin connector.

Lastly, white-knight noted the hard edges on the knockoffs. He noted that on the real ones, the edges are more rounded, less defined.

The real deal

Element version of the LA-5 UHP version

It came in a fancy looking, but flimsy box, along with the tape switch I didn't bother mounting as it's only on the rifle for photo shoots.
    Last edited by mister donut; 12-04-2017 at 05:12 PM.

are Mod 1s Welcome or just Mod 0s?

Quote Originally Posted by Five5six View Post
    are Mod 1s Welcome or just Mod 0s?
    Sorry, I really should change the thread title to include all Mk18, please post pics!
    Last edited by mister donut; 12-05-2017 at 04:02 AM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast