Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: CQBR/Mk18 Clone thread

More Aimpoints on guns in the wild:

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

think a few random posts at ARF compelled me to try and find the tear drop forward assist buttons for my Mk18 builds, but recently, I have been assured by the hive that they are not necessary to make a build perfectly clone correct. Some of the earlier Mk18s were built by Crane from M16A1s and some were seen with tear drop FAs, but my clone would be fine without one.

Well, I got bored one day and ordered a few anyway. DPMS units from Brownells. I wish I could find original Colt ones, but these are good enough for me. Besides, one of my other rifles had a Colt Expanse upper and didn’t come with an FA so this was a perfect excuse to transplant an original Colt F/A onto the expanse upper.

The FAs are pretty easy to swap out. Just punch the roll pin out and the FA assembly comes right now.

Comparison between the DPMS tear drop FA with the factory Colt unit.

To get the new FA in, I partially tapped the roll pin back in before inserting the new FA

Push the FA partway in and with my spare hand I can tap the rest of the pin in.

The FA cover from the Colt Expanse upper.

It comes out the same way except there's no spring inside.

Since I ordered two of these things, I figure I may as well throw it onto my Block II build. I have seen pics of Block IIs in the wild with the tear drop FA.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Anyway, I don't think it looks bad on either the CQBR or the Block II build. I don't really use the FA much but it was an inexpensive modification.

Some pics from Combat_Diver from ARF:

Some more pics from Combat_Diver over on ARF:

I was at Abby this weekend and ran into Five5six there, lol! I was actually there to help my buddy figure out his 102, but I also brought my Mk18 Blcok II just for $hits and giggles.

My buddy Alex shooting the Mk18

Me and the Mk18. I was going to run this thing as is, with all the crap on it, at Redneck 3 Gun this year, but it's in Prince George this year and I probably won't be going. 100 Mile House/Lone Butte was a pretty long drive, but Prince George is really out there.

MD when you coming out next? i need some new range photos

Quote Originally Posted by Five5six View Post
    MD when you coming out next? i need some new range photos

Haha, might not be for a while, the wife unit is pretty prego and the kid could come at anytime.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314