Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Atlas Bipod and Atlas Bipod Knockoff Comparison

The Atlas Bipod and Atlas Bipod Knockoff Comparison

I posted this in the True North Arms (TNA) forum on another gun forum, but I have a feeling it may get deleted.

Theirs is a clone of the Atlas, without the trademarks, and they are selling these as "quality clones". I suppose asking $100 instead of the $60 on amazon.ca makes them quality?

I figured I'd post it here, just to provide information regarding the differences between a very convincing clone and the real thing.

Clone on the left, real on the right.

Close up of the clone ADM QD mount on the left, real on the right.

The newest clones have even gotten the legs down pretty good, clone on the left, real on the right. The checkering on the clone is finer, but the knurling on previous generations of clones were reversed. The feet are pretty good in that they are interchangeable with real ones.

The hardware on the clone is some sort of plated finish where the real deal is a machined finish.

The leg swivel lock washer is thicker on the real deal compared to the thinner one. As you can see, this one has the Atlas trademarks on them, many of the newer ones found on Amazon for $60Cad or Deal Extreme for $50 no longer have the trademarks.

The QD mount on the fake does not carry ADM trademarks, though I've heard some do.

A real ADM mount is not compatible with the clones. The screw spacing on the real one measures about 1.1inch, where the spacing on the clone is further apart.

Between the bipod and the mount is supposed to be a ball joint. You can spin the tension knob completely off the clone, but I've never done it with the real deal. The reason I tried on the clone is because it would not tilt properly. Meaning, if I backed it off, the bipod would tilt, but you could not tighten the knob to increase tension for the bipod to hold the tilted angel.

If I cranked it down while tilted, what would happen is the bipod would revert to a straight up and down position and you would lose the tilt. You could just leave it loose and it would tilt, but it would wobble over. If you don't need the title feature, great.

Now, I'm not against clones, I used to own a Norinco M4, loved it, threw over 5,000 rounds through it before I sold it to a buddy who's probably put another 6,000 rounds through it by now, no issues, ran great. I still have to Norinco M14s (though one of them is problematic, I will admit).

I used to swear by Chinese knock-offs, and thought everyone who paid full price for the brand name ones were chumps for throwing their money away. I had a collection of Chinese Fakepoints, but they eventually died when I ran them on my Chinese AR. Recoil rattled the internals apart. Same for a Chinese clone scope....the M14 just destroyed it. Had a set of fake Magpul buis, ran fine without issue for a few months, then the plastic started to crack.

I'm still not entirely against Chinese clones, but certain items I would prefer to use the real deal. I tried the Atlas clone on my TRG42 and I needed a titling bipod because I primarily shoot on uneven terrain (crown land). I had a pivoting $60 Champion bipod I had on there that really didn't need to be replaced because it was able to hold the weight of the rifle on any angle tilt. My $50 Atlas clone didn't do that. I didn't junk my clone, it's just sitting on my 10/22.

I think the reason my buddy's broke was because the pivot screws were made of pot metal (just a guess judging by the finish). He's running a 10TR in an XLR chassis, which isn't really heavy, but after loading into his bipod over and over again, it just gave. He swore by the clone Atlas for a few months, even had an order in for three more, until his first one broke, then he cancelled the rest.

Anyway, your mileage may vary, we only paid $50 for ours ($50 on deal extreme, $60 on amazon), no huge loss. Would be $hitty if these $100 ones (True North Arms) didn't lock on tilt, or the hardware breaks because it's made out of pot metal.
    Last edited by mister donut; 11-22-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Content, grammar and spelling.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

I have to admit I was considering buying one to try out. I had my suspicions however and figured I would rather but that money towards a real Harris bipod.

Thanks MD for the full write up. I was tempted. You just saved me some money! Plus it was a really good comparison write up!

Thanks! Jist glad to provide benficial info
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

More info on the clone that TNA is selling:

These are images pulled from TNA's website:

A video review from the vendor's product page "shows the actual product that is for real with some commentary relating it to the Real Deal."

The fake ones hardware if it's like the one I have played with isn't made of pot metal. It's plated and the locking plates are stamped steel. The tolerances on these knock offs are very loose. If your looking for something on a budget it's alright. Kinda like buying a fiero instead of a corvette in my opinion. LOL

Hmmmm....interesting and good to know.

I was just wondering, does yours tilt/pivot and can it lock in the tilted position? My clone doesn't, so it's just sitting on my 10/22 for plinking duty.

Stick with my real Atlas, Harris and LRA bipods for any sort of serious stuff.

Looks like they have made some minor upgrades and are calling it version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by True North Arms Corp
    Well our bipods are different from Mister Donut's in some ways as in the one Mister Donut shows is a counterfeit. Our clones do not show any Atlas markings as that is not legal. I inspected them and lo, the tilting feature did not lock up consistently, when you tighten the knob it would pull back to straight in some cases. We didn't advertise the tilt feature, but I felt it wasn't really an Atlas clone if it didn't have tilting.

So I engineered a solution that makes the tilting lock up properly. It's so simple I can't believe the factory isn't doing it.

We've sent emails to everyone who bought our clone, offering to mail you the modification parts that you can install yourself in 60 seconds.

And now our store shows the upgraded [/URL].
    Followed by:

Well said. You are not getting a product that is expected to stand up to repeated 338 Lapua or a fancy manufacturers warranty. You do get what you pay for. For me, the clone is perfect, I shoot at a range off a table on an AR. I don't need anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket View Post
    Looks like they have made some minor upgrades and are calling it version 2.

Followed by:
    Lol! Thanks for posting. Well, they've added a tilt feature for no extra cost, I'm curious how well it works.

BTW, if anyone is wondering why my name is in pink over on the CGN, it wasn't over the Atlas bipod thing.

I've been hanging around at ARF.com a little too much and picked up some naughty habits like habitual swearing and making fun of religions. To my defense, I made fun of all religions, and didn't single out a particular one
    Last edited by mister donut; 11-25-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Looks like someone wasn't so convinced that the version True North Arms is selling is legal just because it doesn't have the name "Atlas" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by KaseyDB
    Hello Northern Neighbors!

I know somewhat about the Atlas bipods as my name is on the patents and the trademarks. Counterfeit Atlas bipods, include those with and/or without the trademark that any or all of the patented features found on the Atlas are used in their construction. So eliminating the trademark "Atlas" does not eliminate the crime associated with counterfeiting simply eliminates the trademark infringement crime.

Counterfeit products are an attractive option to some consumers because of their reduced cost. When a counterfeiter is already making the ORIGINAL product, like Gucci, Apple, etc. then yes the counterfeit can be a good copy. That is NOT the case with the Atlas Bipod which is made in America. So the Atlas counterfeiter is solely driven by profit which means making a look-a-like product as cheap as possible. The "V1" 50.00 counterfeit demonstrates this and the "improved V2" counterfeit at 100.00 is twice the cost as the V1 and is still a counterfeit using inferior materials!

(Which makes me wonder that if the creator of the "V2" counterfeit is so creative, then why doesn't he/she invent his own bipod and rule the bipod market. OR better, why not carry the original Atlas? Why deal in stolen products? Certainly, his/her customers are discerning enough to appreciate quality products without the counterfeit stigma. )

"Stolen"? Yes! Anyone that buys or sells a counterfeit Atlas bipod is condoning theft, which is a crime against me, the patent holder. This theft is no different in outcome than someone stealing your property then selling it, which I doubt anyone would appreciate. Today we spend about 10% of our time and money addressing issues regarding these counterfeit products. As a small business owner that started in his basement while working at FedEx as a driver, I am passionate about protecting what I have worked for and hope any reader that has ever worked for anything in their life, will appreciate my position.
    Last edited by Full Metal Jacket; 12-02-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Well, I think that sort of puts the last nail in the coffin, when the owner of Atlas bipods creates an account to talk about it himself, lol!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast