Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mk12 Mod 0/1/H

Here’s my contribution...
    Still need a few parts for it, but it’s getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson486 View Post
    Here’s my contribution...
    Still need a few parts for it, but it’s getting there!

Nicely done! How far do you plan to take your OCD? Haha!
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Thanks!
    I plan on getting everything as legit as possible.
    Working on finding an Ops Inc brake to at least finish the look while I search for other parts.

Something arrived in the mail the other day and it's just one more piece of the puzzle, a puzzle I'm still pretty far off from calli

ng complete, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

The elusive 5/20 Colt magazine.....at least elusive in Canada. As far as I know, there's no retailer that carries these, and they are a huge pain in the dick to source on EE, but I finally have one. These are great for old school M16 clone builds, but also for Mk12 clone builds as well. Now, the Mk12 doesn't have to have a 20 round mag, as they are often seen with standard 30 round mags in the wild, but I wanted to have a short mag in my collection, and getting one for my Mk12 clone build was the perfect excuse.

Compared to a standard 30 round mag.

Since these little bastards are so hard to find, I was considering buying a 20 rounder through Midway (their generic house brand), pinning it and having it imported, or maybe go through Brownell's and buying one of theirs, but finding one on EE was a total stroke of luck and it solved my dilema.

Now I just need the right Leupold Mark 4 scope as well as an 18" Douglas Barrel. Those might be a while though, and I'm not even sure they will ever happen. The Leupold Mark 4 is a second focal plane scope, with limited magnification and desireable reticles....not to mention it's in MOA. I find it hard to swallow the idea of shelling out $1,000 for a used one, let alone $1,900 for a new one, when there are a ton of superior scopes out there for that price range.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

That's one heck of a project MD!

That being said, a friendly ribbing is in order:

Nice.
    Here’s what I’m missing right now for my build.
    - Ops Inc Brake & Collar
    - Ergo Original Grip (I have an A1 but I like the Ergos)
    - KAC 600m Rear sight (have one of the micros on it right now)
    - Harris BRM-S (****ty one off my .22LR currently on it)
    - Leupold TS-30 A2 (Current scope is a 3.5-10x40 w/TMR Reticle and M1 Turrets)
    - M16A1 profiled lower (I’m going to have one with the correct markings made eventually)
    - Douglas Barrel (Settled on a Ballistic Advantage SPR Barrel for now)
    - LMT Gen 1 Stock (Have a B5 one on there for now)

Also I found some of this:

I finally got a Mark 4:

http://www.canadianfirearmcentral.ca...60035-unboxing

Though it's not exactly clone correct, it does look closer to correct than the VX-R Patrol that was on there.

I may have to source a 2.5-8x36mm one day though, lol!

So, I finally got around to getting my Mk12 Mod 1 clone build out to see how it shoots. I knew the Colt HBAR that it was built around shot well when I had the barrel encased in Primary Weapons Systems (PWS) parts. I'd only shot it once and I recall getting a decent group but I didn't measure it and wish I had. The Mk12 Mod 1 clone had a Leupold 3.5-10x40mm FFP with Leupold's fine TMR reticle and I was shooting 75gr Hornady Steel Match, and I also tried out a few rounds of 77gr Federal Gold Medal Match SMKs.

My Mk12 Mod 1 clone build performed as well as I expected. I managed a .875" group at 100m, but I honestly think this rifle could do better with more magnification. At 100m, it was hard for me to see the target, even with the fine TMR reticle. That being said, it is supposed to be a clone build, and wouldn't be right with one of Leupold's higher power Mark 4s. Actually, the Mod 1 was more commonly seen with Leupold's 2.5-8x36mm Mark 4, not this one, but I think I'll just settle for close enough.

Some info on clone correct scopes. Mine is not, lol! I have a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T M3-FF TMR 60035 and it's not listed here as a model that has ever seen use. I don't think I'll replace this though because I don't even have the clone correct barrel.

Originally Posted By tamboi:
    Have been trying to gather a little information from a contact at Leupold with regards the scopes, the marked TS-30, TS-30 A2 and subsequent models supplied to the military under contract which ther has been 11 or 12.

Obviously the TS-30 is a vari-x scope which was a 3-9x36 mil-dot scope with a M3 turret (non-illuminated). At this time, I don't have any nsn number for this scope or know if it was even assigned one or the number that Leupold actually manufactured and sold.

The TS-30 A2 was made and sold in the 2002, 2003 timeframe, again no nsn number or numbers sold. Nearly all pictured have a k serial number for 2002.

These were the only scopes that were actually marked in this way and sold to the military, basically pre-mark 4 for these models.

The TS-30 became model 57075, the Mark 4 3-9x36 MR/T M3 non-illuminated mil-dot reticle (but with significant design changes)

The TS-30 A2 became model # 57055 the Mark 4 3-9x36 MR/T M3 illuminated mil-dot reticle (no change in design)

Leupold primarily supplied model number 57055 in the 2003-2006 timeframe for military contracts

In 2006, Leupold redesigned the previous years models and introduced the Mark 4 2.5-8x36 and the TMR reticle

The following scope model was supplied by Leupold under contract in the following years
    Model # 60150 the Mark 4 2.5-8x36 M2 illuminated mil-dot

Leupold continued to supply this scope model in contracts until approximately 2010 at which time it was redesigned/small changes were made and it became
    Model # 67920 the Mark 4 2.5-8x36 MR/T M2 illuminated mil-dot.

Once again in 2012, the scope was redesigned/small changes made and it became
    Model #112633 the Mark 4 2.5-8x36 MR/T M2 illuminated TMR.

Model numbers 60150, 67920 and 112633 have all at one time or another been NSN 1005-01-562-0953 which was created in 03/08.
    So I suppose at this stage if you have either model #'s 57055, 60150, 67920 or 112633 you would be clone correct. I did get a few contract numbers to look up, if I gather anything more I will put it out there.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/...01682#i7401682

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567