Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Norinco A1 lower (full mag fence) for a retro build?

Of course, this build would not be complete with at least one more problem. One that I have yet to resolve, the grip screw. The lower did not come with a grip screw, and the one from my LPK did not fit. Nor did any of the other standard grip screws I had from my bag of A2 grips. It turns out the standard size grip screw is 1/4x28 thread pitch and Norinco decided to not go with this screw size. Goddamn Fukking communists, lol!

I did a little more reading and it turns out that it is probably a metric screw size, however no information was available for the exact metric thread pitch. I went to Home Depot and brought home and assortment of metric and imperial screws. 1/4x28 didn’t fit and the next size down was 1/4x20 and it didn’t fit. I tried a standard M5 screw and it slipped right through. I was able to get two turns with a standard M6-1.0mm (what seems to be the standard at the local hardware stores) but eventually it did not go further in.

I’ve since learned that that metric screws, particularly M6 screws come in M6-1.0mm, which seems to be the most popular, then there are M6-0.5mm and M6-0.75mm. I called all the local fastener shops in town and no one carried anything beyond M6-1.0mm. There was a shop in the US that had M6-0.75mm for $4.50 USD each but charged $25 shipping. I found an M6-0.75mm on Fleabay for $2.50 shipped, so I ordered one. I couldn’t find an M6-0.5mm. Anyway, the wait begins as it’s coming from China so it will probably take two months to get here.

So, to summarize, the Norinco CQ-311 lower is a complete pain in the dick to deal with. Most standard AR lower parts will fit, keep in mind the issues I ran into.
    My example had holes for the takedown pins that did not fit standard size takedown pins and had to be filed a bit to accept them. I’m not talking a huge margin here, but some filing was required, it’s not like I had to get the drill press out and hog it out, just a bit of filing and the pins eventually dropped in.

The fire control switch appears to be located lower in the receiver compared to the standard. This requires you to either notch the selector switch to allow it to go into safe, or remove material from the trigger to allow a standard selector to switch into safe. Or, just use the selector that comes with the CQ-311.

The receiver extension is metric, so a standard AR carbine buffer tube or rifle length receiver extension will not fit unless it miraculously has metric threads.

Lastly, the grip screw. It is not the standard 1/4x28 sizing, it’s metric, and likely M6-0.75mm or even M6-0.50mm. I still have to figure that out and a possible solution is shipping from China and should be here in another month, lol!

Still, despite all of this, there aren’t that many other options for A1 lowers in Canada. I know there are a couple of large takedown-pin Colts out there, and I suppose I can source the adapter for it, but this came along for a great price….and now I know why, lol!

Will update this post when the stupid grip screw comes in, hahahaha!
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Perhaps you should think about moving this to the "you laugh, you lose" thread
    I am not an animal I am a human bean!

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Perhaps you should think about moving this to the "you laugh, you lose" thread
    Lol, I would, but it would probably get a lot of TLDR.

I ordered a single screw from Ebay, shipping from China. I couldn't find an M6x0.75 anywhere at the local fastener shops, so I hope this thing fits.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Finally, the grip screw for my Norinco CQ-311 arrived. I ordered the thing near the end of March and it showed up the other day. I think the courier swam here from China.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-130__b9oo...0/P5034725.JPG

Anyway, I was eager to find out if I ordered the right size (M6-0.75mm), or discover I messed up and had to order a different size (M6-0.50mm) and wait another two months. Thank God it spun right in.

A comparison between standard AR grip screws (three on the left) which are 1/4x28, and the correct size for the Norinco CQ-311 which is an M6-0.75mm. If you're in Canada, have fun trying to source one. As mentioned in an earlier post, I've seen these in the states for $4.50 USD and $25 for shipping to Canada.

Because the selector location is slightly lower, the detent for the selected might be a bit too long. I guess I could have removed some material, but I didn't bother and stuffed it in there. The selector detent spring is a bit compressed, but it still works. I may pop it out at a later date and sand down the bottom of it, but for now it works, though it's a bit tight.

Slapped the rifle together, did a function test, and everything seems to function just fine. It's definitely not as refined as some of my other lowers (Colt USA, Colt Canada, KAC) and definitely not as pretty, but it will probably work just fine.

That's my A1 lower complete. Since I snapped these pics, I slapped on the clone correct Ergo grip, but I have yet to decide if I like the Norinco lower on my Mk12 build.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123