Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BCL 102 build/project thread

Yup, when we ordered the rifle length receiver extension to replace the factory BCL buffer tube, we also replaced the buffer and buffer spring with one for a rifle length AR308. It seems to eject the shells for Hornady ammo, but not for Federal SMKs. I’m not sure if the BCG gets pushed back part way or not at all, will have to watch him when he’s shooting it next time, see if the thing is short stroking. Magazine is the PMag that came with the rifle. I think I’ll have to get more details from my buddy, but he said with the Hornady ammo, the seems to be riding the next round like this image (not his rifle):

Some pics of various buffers and buffer springs for comparison:

From top to bottom:

Unknown brand A2 rifle length buffer and buffer spring
    Norinco CQ311 rifle length buffer and buffer spring
    AR Stoner standard AR carbine buffer and buffer spring
    DPMS A2 rifle length buffer and buffer spring
    AR Stoner AR308 A2 rifle length buffer and buffer spring
    BCL102 carbine length buffer and buffer spring

For reference:

From top to bottom:

BCL102 carbine buffer tube
    AR Stoner standard AR carbine buffer tube
    Norinco CQ311 A2 rifle length receiver extension (overall dimensions identical to standard US A2 rifle length receiver extension, except threads are metric and requires a metric 13mm wrench instead of an imperial size wrench.

Anyway, when we figure things out properly we’ll definitely update this thread as well as add to the other thread.
    Last edited by mister donut; 04-05-2018 at 03:08 AM.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

MD I know you’ll figure out the issue but I can’t resist trying to problem solve..

Assuming the bCG can travel all the way back by hand and be locked open.

have you checked the gas rings? A number of the bcl rifles had bad gas rings. Do the upside down test. A cheap fix with new rings. Just make sure it’s smooth in the bCG so the new rings aren’t getting chewed up. Also one has been reported to have had a loose gas key.

Really curious to find out what the issue was and how it’s resolved!

Last edited by Full Metal Jacket; 04-05-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket View Post
    MD I know you’ll figure out the issue but I can’t resist trying to problem solve..

Assuming the bCG can travel all the way back by hand and be locked open.

have you checked the gas rings? A number of the bcl rifles had bad gas rings. Do the upside down test. A cheap fix with new rings. Just make sure it’s smooth in the bCG so the new rings aren’t getting chewed up. Also one has been reported to have had a loose gas key.

Really curious to find out what the issue was and how it’s resolved!

Haha, I totally appreciate the effort. One of the reasons I posted here was to see if there was something we haven't thought of.

Prime example, we haven't checked the gas rings or the gas key. I had to work late tonight so I couldn't look at it, but I'll see if I can get to it tonight
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

Rule #1 - always run tests on the original (insert product here) before modding the heck out of it

But seriously though, I just watched a video of a brand new BCL102 that came to the owner with a loose barrel, and by use I mean a 1/2" play in it from side to side
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    Pennsylvania Assembly, 11th November 1755

CSSA & NRA Member
    EOSC Member

Quote Originally Posted by #ThePewPew556 View Post
    Rule #1 - always run tests on the original (insert product here) before modding the heck out of it

But seriously though, I just watched a video of a brand new BCL102 that came to the owner with a loose barrel, and by use I mean a 1/2" play in it from side to side
    Lol, I told him he should have test fired it stock out of the box, but he insisted on doing it this way, so here we are, hahahahaha!

1/2" play??!? Holy crap, that's messed up.

Doesn't apply to NEA junk.

Quote Originally Posted by mister donut View Post
    Lol, I told him he should have test fired it stock out of the box, but he insisted on doing it this way, so here we are, hahahahaha!

1/2" play??!? Holy crap, that's messed up.
    I have to admit having all of those parts in already would have been hard to resist!

As for the loose barrel...enjoy:

Read the comments of the owner as to how it was returned to him. I'm not impressed.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

CSSA & NRA Member
    EOSC Member

Read the comments of the owner as to how it was returned to him. I'm not impressed.
    They refunded him his money in full, and he had a bone to pick with SFRC, Its quite obvious.

Pretty easy to make false claims online. I hate NEA as much as the next guy but com'on a loose barrel...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF View Post
    They refunded him his money in full, and he had a bone to pick with SFRC, Its quite obvious.

Pretty easy to make false claims online. I hate NEA as much as the next guy but com'on a loose barrel...lol...
    What are the sources of your claims?
    Do you know the guy?
    Did he post of this issue elsewhere?
    What makes this issue any different then the hundreds of other issues that we've seen from NEA/BCL in the past, from broken bolts on arrival, completely out of spec lowers, tube extension threads that could have been filed in by hand and the list goes on.

I don't know the guy nor have I seen him claims elsewhere - I'm not on CGN so that could explain it - but more details and substantiated facts would be good to have.
    Benjamin Franklin

CSSA & NRA Member
    EOSC Member

Quote Originally Posted by mister donut View Post
    Hey guys, just an update on my buddy's rifle. He took it to the range to test and it looks like we'll have to do some trouble shooting.

175gr Federal Gold Medal Match SMK - failure to eject.
    168gr Hornady Match - eject ok, failure to feed
    178gr Hornady Match - eject ok, failure to feed

Will have to return the rifle to stock and see if it functions in it's original condition.

Ignore the upper left group.
    Middle group 168 Hornady
    Top right group 178 Hornady
    Bottom left 175 SMK
    Ok, I renewed my Mission range membership online the other night.

My box of Lapua 167 arrived a month ago. I still have some of the older Lapua 167 match factory ammo as well. Plus 175 smk 43.4 varget and 168 smk 43.4 varget loaded up. When my BCL 102 shows up, I'm changing the trigger out right away. I'm just waiting to see if SFRC does the trigger upgrade option from the factory and if so what the price is.

Now my reloading setup is actually portable. If you look up the old RFB thread on here you will see that a buddy and I took the RFB to mission and reloaded for it on site after testing the reloads we pre rolled. Might be worth doing that on a second outing if the ammo can't be dialed in from the above formulas at home.

Might be fun to get a few of us with the BCL 102 rifles out there and test them so it's not just a single sample.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast