Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington M24....the real thing

Remington M24....the real thing

Although I would love to say that this was my first gun purchase for 2018, I am sad to admit it is not. My buddy picked up this rifle, one of ten ordered from Wanstalls from Gravel Agency for all of Canada. That's not to say that there aren't more out there, but from what I understand, these were extremely rare before this, and Wanstalls is of the opinion that the outlook for future examples might be bleak.

This isn't a Remington 700 5R, or a 700 Police, or a custom clone, this folks came directly from Remington as a 7.62 M24. It's not a refurbished one, or the complete deployment package but a "rifle only" deal that is literally that. No front sights, no rear sights, no sight base, no Mark 4, no bipod, 1903 sling, cleaning kit or hard case with cut foam. It's just the rifle, and here are a few pics of it and what it came with:

For a $5k rifle, the packaging sure was discreet. Just a plain cardboard box from Remington with a hard case inside.

I've never heard of this brand hard case, probably on par with Flambeau rifle cases, but definitely not Pelican or Hardigg.

Not the typical R700 manual.

Note the rifle does not come with a bipod, that's just a cheap Champion I had laying around.

It was a bit disappointing to shell out $5k and not even get the sight bases. The barrel is threaded to accept the sight base....if we can source one. These things are pretty rare though, even on US eBay, so finding one in Canada will require a miracle.

M24 crown.

It's hard to tell, but the M24 barrel profile is definitely beefy and it would definitely not fit in a regular 5R milspec or Police stock.
    “The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

It's neat to see 7.62 NATO stamped in the barrel instead of 308 WIN like on my 700P.

Top view of the barrel and barrel channel.

The M24 mark on the receiver, plus holes for the unique rear sight.

Even though it's chambered in 7.62, the rifle is built on a 700 long action.

Another notable difference is the HS Precision stock. The one on the M24 is the PST-024, whereas the one that comes on the 700 Police is the PST-011. The adjustable length of pull is definitely a nice feature, but I understand that this stock costs huge dollars.

I'm not sure if the bottom metal is the Dakota/Sunny Hill unit, but it's definitely different than the standard Remington one that comes with the 700P

I thought even on the M24, the sling swivels were Uncle Mikes or something like that, but these ones had the Remington "R" logo on it, nice touch.

The M24 trigger is supposedly adjustable, though it comes from the factory at a fairly decent setting. Unlike the 6.5 lb pull that came on my 6.5cm barrelled action, this one felt more like 3 lbs or so, broke like glass, no creep. Feels like an excellent trigger and I'll have to measure it properly when I get a chance.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters.”

I could have sword the issued M24s didn't use the Remington butt pad, but I'll have to dig around a bit to see if this was the case.

A comparison between a regular 700P (top) and the M24

The coating on the bolt handle for the M24 appears to be thicker, maybe cerakoted? The one on the Police appears to be a plain parker or phosphate finish?

The barrel from the M24 on the left is definitely beefier than the Police barrel

I have no idea what the markings mean on these barrels, but I did notice an "M" on the M24 barrel.

Anyway, have no idea how far down the rabbit hole my buddy wants to go in finding parts to replicate the "as issued" look, but I'm going poke around and start tracking down the sight bases. The trouble is I have no idea where to begin. I might just contact Remington directly, but I heard that the Chou Brothers in Canada have built M24 clones and maybe they'll have a source for some of these hard to find details.

Great write up! I've always been a fan of the M24. It's why I ended up buying my 5R rifles.

Also great comparison with the 700P! It's nice to see a side by side.

I know it's a collector piece etc but that's a lot of money! As much as I would love a M24 in my collection, I'll be settling for the poor man's 5R Milspec! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see such a rare rifle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket View Post
    Great write up! I've always been a fan of the M24. It's why I ended up buying my 5R rifles.

Also great comparison with the 700P! It's nice to see a side by side.

I know it's a collector piece etc but that's a lot of money! As much as I would love a M24 in my collection, I'll be settling for the poor man's 5R Milspec! Thanks for sharing. It's great to see such a rare rifle!!
    It's so awesome man. I'm going to try and talk him into selling it to me, lol!

Visually, they are very similar, but there's just something about the M24. Actually holding a real M24 in my hands makes me feel hard as nails, lol!
    Last edited by mister donut; 01-12-2018 at 08:53 PM.

That is purty!
    was it from Wanstall? they had one for sale for 5K or 6K a few months back.
    I am not an animal I am a human bean!

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    That is purty!
    was it from Wanstall? they had one for sale for 5K or 6K a few months back.
    Haha, yep, Wanstalls.

Managed to source the front and rear sight bases, will post pics when they arrive.

How is the accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by dallas View Post
    How is the accuracy?
    The rifle itself can probably shoot better than me, but here are the specs from the factory:

Accuracy: According to MIL-R-71126(AR), 3.15.7 Targeting and Accuracy, The rifle shall achieve the dispersion set forth below when fired from a Government approved machine rest. The average mean radius shall be less than or equal to the values stated below. The minimum rate of fire for conducting this test shall be three rounds per minute.[2]

Range / Average Mean Radius (AMR) — Mean Radius (MR) expresses the average distance of all the shots from the center of the shot group. AMR averages the MR of several shot groups.

200 yards (183 m): 1.3 inches
    273 yards (250 m): 1.4 inches
    300 yards (274 m): 1.9 inches
    The radial distance from the calculated center of impact of the first target compared to the calculated center of impacts of the subsequent targets shall be less or equal to 1.086 MOA (3.3 inches @ 300 yards, 2.2 inches @ 200 yards, 2.4 inches @ 200 meters) on an average basis.

The actual rifle requirements for accuracy were .35 MOA from a machine rest and according to Major John Mende (ret.) this accuracy had to be maintained to 10,000 rounds. He stated, "Interesting side note was there was a 10,000 round requirement for the barrel to maintain the original accuracy. In fact after some 10,000 round tests we discovered the accuracy improved. A few barrels were tested past 20,000 and accuracy never went below the original accuracy requirement."[7]

Maximum effective range is given as 800 meters (875 yd), but record shots have been made with the M24 at over 1,000 meters (1,094 yd). Meanwhile, the standard optical sight has a maximum elevation adjustment of 1,000 meters (1,094 yd).

Match-grade ammunition

M24 sniper rifle, equipped with an AN/PVS-10 Sniper Night Sight (SNS).[8]
    7.62 × 51mm M118 Match Grade: A 168-grain round.
    7.62 × 51mm M118LR Long Range: A 175-grain round using Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail projectiles.
    7.62mm M118 Long Range Performance Data:
    Muzzle velocity (nominal): 2,580 feet per second (786 m/s)
    Chamber pressure (typical): 52,000 psi (360 MPa)
    Action time (max): 4 ms
    Average horizontal spread at 1,000 metres (1,094 yd): 10.3 in (0.899 MOA)
    Average vertical spread at 1,000 metres (1,094 yd): 14 in (1.222 MOA)[9]
    According to JBM Ballistics,[10] using the G7 ballistic coefficient provided by Bryan Litz, the 7.62mm M118 Long Range 7.62×51mm NATO cartridge, when fired at its nominal muzzle velocity of 786 m/s (2,580 ft/s), should have approximately 878 metres (960 yd) supersonic range under International Standard Atmosphere conditions at sea level (air density ρ = 1.225 kg/m3).

7.62 × 51mm MK 316 MOD 0 Special Ball, Long Range: A 175-grain round consisting of Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tail projectiles, Federal Cartridge Company match cartridge cases and Gold Medal Match primers and an undisclosed modified extruded propellant. The 7.62 × 51mm MK 316 MOD 0 Special Ball, Long Range cartridges have an accuracy requirement based around 10-round shotgroups. The Propellant has been verified as modified version of IMR 4064 as stated in DODIC: AB39 NSN: 1305-01-567-6944.[citation needed]
    The average extreme spread for 10-round shotgroups shall be less than or equal to the following values:
    600 yd: 7.0 in (first Production Lot). This equates to a ≤ 1.1 MOA requirement at 548.6 m.
    300 yd: 3.5 in (after first Production Lot). This equates to a ≤ 1.1 MOA requirement at 274.3 m.
    The maximum muzzle velocity standard deviation is set at 15 ft/s (4.57 m/s). Information published on acceptance tests regarding five MK 316 MOD 0 cartridge production lots indicated a sub 2.4 in at 300 yd performance. This equates to a sub 0.8 MOA performance at 274.3 m for the listed ammunition lots.[11]

IDF M24 SWS shoots 0.5 MOA with IMI Match ammunition
    IMI 7.62 × 51mm Long Range Match 175 grain: a 175-grain match grade sniping ammunition manufactured by Israeli Military Industries, and in use by the Israel Defense Forces. An M24 SWS rifle with IMI match ammo shoots groups of 12 cm at a distance of 800 meters, an accuracy that equals to 0.5 minute of arc.[12][13]
    When me or my pal find the time to take her out for a rip, I promise we will post pics of target sheets.
    Last edited by mister donut; 02-12-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast